Preparing for Cataclysm

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Preparing for Cataclysm

Post by Ethum on Thu 12 Aug 2010, 3:15 pm

While waiting for Staracraft 2 to come out, I accidentally activated a 10 day free trial for Lich King. I played through the Death Knight starter area, which was pretty cool, but didn't feel like leveling it up further afterwards.

At which point I was inspired by the "last chance to see" thread to finish off my Exploration achievements on my shaman. After that I still have a few old world dungeons to clear inexplicably (not sure why some were retroactive and some weren't) and I suppose the loremaster achievements.

So, I made this thread to selfishly ask for more specific advice on which content is worth doing. I stopped playing as soon as I got my epic mount in Burning Crusade. All outdoor quests were completed, and I was working on dungeons with the prospects of joining a raiding guild (never happened).

I figure I will play for a month or two before cataclysm, and was wondering what the best use of my time would be.

1) I can play through Northrend, or I can save Northrend for a post Cataclysm character.
2) Instead of going to Northrend, I could attempt to find pick up groups for the Burning Crusade content I never finished.

Any raid content is probably still out of my reach, as I'm not going to play long enough to make new friends and join a guild sadly.

I was kind of bemused when I ran around the BC hub city. A hunter had my epic mount as a pet, and another guy was riding a dragon.

As an aside, some of the shaman changes were really good, while some I like a bit less. Also, Alterac Valley is a little ridiculous now. I swear it felt more like a death match than anything else. Oh well, no more ridiculous 6 hour long matches at the least.
Ethum

Glasses : 16
Standing : 1

Back to top Go down

Re: Preparing for Cataclysm

Post by Janneel's on Thu 12 Aug 2010, 3:17 pm

Northrend is really, really good. If you're Alliance, Howling Fjord is extremely good and stuffed with lore about the origins of humanity and dwarves (and there's an area of the otherwise pretty mediocre Borean Tundra that does the same with gnomes). Grizzly Hills features some fun sequels to pre-TBC stuff, with great new quest mechanics. And I'd argue that Storm Peaks for an Alliance character is the best questing content in the game.

You might also be surprised at how easily it is to get into raiding nowadays, if that interests you, since running dungeons will get you gear from the previous raiding content and let you gear up (relatively) quickly.

That said, the Last Chance to See stuff might be the better option, although all of that content is wildly dated compared to Northrend content. And Outland is going to be very much a ghost town until the expansion, when it's invaded by oodles of goblins, worgen and new race/class combos.

And the retroactive dungeon achievements required you to either have completed a quest related to the dungeon's boss or have unique loot from it.
Janneel's

Glasses : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonfaxx on Thu 12 Aug 2010, 3:19 pm

I would play through northrend. Its great fun and isn't going to change in cata, so you might as well get your money out of it instead of rushing through to 85. Then use the random dungeon finder to try out the heroics since it will be hard to do them when cata comes out. Im not sure if level 80 tabard/dungeon rep will carry over to cata dungeons so you might want to rep up wyrmrest for the mount since its pita to do otherwise. Also make sure you run heroic strath to get the bronze drake too.

If you want to level up a new char in cata you might also want to look into heirloom items that you can mail t your alt from badges.
Moonfaxx

Glasses : 7
Standing : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Zahira on Thu 12 Aug 2010, 3:20 pm

Storm peaks is just as good for Horde - it's probably the best zone they have done, and everyone should do it instead of the crappy Icecrown.
Zahira

Glasses : 21

Back to top Go down

Post by Blondies on Thu 12 Aug 2010, 3:21 pm

I collected 100 of every herb and 200 of every ore to prepare for Cataclysm... my new goblin main will be able to level engineering/alchemy with ease.
Blondies

Glasses : 6
Standing : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Jade on Thu 12 Aug 2010, 3:22 pm

I would actually suggest factioning up with the Kirin Tor, rather than Wyrmrest Accord: You will almost certainly still be visiting there in Cataclysm, since it connects to everywhere, and Exalted faction there means better repairs and (if any still exist) reagent costs.
Jade

Glasses : 30
Standing : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top